49 Clapham High Street, London
49 Clapham High Street is a prominent Grade II Listed Building located on the very popular Clapham High Street. The property was built in 1810 and became the first Dr. Barnado’s Home for young boys in 1902. Since that time, the building has been used for a variety of different purposes, including being occupied by Money Hicks, a traditional print works, between the years 1939 and 2002. Since that time it has been occupied by Malletts Plc who restore antique furniture.
The planning application involved addressing a number of key issues, such as the loss of commercial floorspace and ensuring the extensions to the Listed Building were appropriate and not harmful to the amenity of adjoining occupiers. In addition to this, detailed discussions took place with the LPA’s Conservation and Design team in order to make sure the internal works to the Listed Building respected its original fabric, retaining key features in all instances.
The development resulted in the creation of eight high quality residential apartments in a much sort after location.